Wednesday, October 20, 2010

On Reading.

I am happy to be raising a reader. Jason just finished Magic Tree House #12 today. Each book is about 80 pages. He own books 1-12 but is missing 13-16, which we will pick up at the library tomorrow. He also has books 17-24 from Jordyn, who is also an amazing reader. The series, so far, goes to #44. (So these would make great Christmas gifts!)

I give a lot of credit to my Grandma Lee, who used to take me yearly around my birthday and Christmas to get a new load of books and to renew my membership card at the bookstore. She actually bought me my first book that really got me into reading when I was 12. It was an R.L. Stine book The Girlfriend. After reading that, I read every book of his back then. It was more than 80 books. He is also famous for the Goosebumps series and is quoted to be "The Stephen King of Children's Lit." (Some of his work will be on my Christmas Gift list for a certain 11 year old girl.)

My goal for this year was at least to match last years total of 38 novels. Well I met that in July, so I set a new one of 60 novels. I am on #52 right now and will finish it today, and start 53. Next year I hope to read just as many. Last year 14 of those were on my kindle. I read it all, non-fiction, memoirs, fiction, the classics are my faves.

I am so sad of the years lost 2004-2008 where I rarely read. And then I only had one kid! I can count 5 books that I read in those years, maybe a few more. I have gotten rid of a bunch of my collection of books. I used to have hundreds, now I just have my most faves and some new reads.

Being the reader I am, I have a never ending-that grows daily- To Read list. Currently there are 28 on that list.. and it does grow daily. I am that person who loves airports to. It's like a buffet of reading.. you read at the terminal, on the plane, during the layover, on the next plane.. Love it.

I was that girl in school who actually read all the required books. In fact, my first detention was in 7th grade during English class.. I actually got in trouble for reading my book during class. What kind of teacher gives detention for reading?? And in English??

Jacques has a totally different approach to reading, and it's not osmosis. It's, and I quote, "I'll wait till the movie comes out." Or "Just watch the movie" And his favorite is, "If it's a good enough book, they'll make it into a movie."

Here are my books read in 2010 and 2009.

No comments: