Thursday, June 25, 2009

a long way gone.

This is my 4th read for June and my 16th for the year. Just a random book I got at the library that I thought would be a good read. I was right. Sad, but good.

"This is an extraordinary and mesmerizing account, told with real literary force and heartbreaking honesty."

"A Long Way Gone is one of the most important war stories of our generation. The arming of children is among the greatest evils of the modern world, and yet we know so little about it because the children themselves are swallowed up by the very wars they are forced to wage." -Sebastian Junger

"A Long Way Gone is a wrenching, beautiful, and mesmerizing tale. Beah's amazing saga provides a haunting lesson about how gentle folks can be capable of great brutalities as well as goodness and courage. It will leave you breathless." -Walter Isaacson

Book Check:
By Ishmael Beah
229 Pages
Published 2007
Non Fiction
Memoir
Sierra Leone
Solider at age 12
Rescued by UNICEF at age 16
Moved to USA in 1998
Now he is 26

Quotes:

"..my head felt heavy with the images it contained."

When he first visited New York, in the winter and when exiting the airport, he is cold and says, "How does anyone survive in this country?" It was cute and funny.

"I told myself that I wouldn't want to live in such an unpleasantly cold country, where I would always have to worry about my nose, ears and face falling off."

Recommending To:
Julie
Shawna

No comments: