Thursday, May 01, 2008

hello, thursday! this is rather odd.

Thursday could be my favorite day of the week. Today I ran errands with the babies (by myself) all morning. We went to Walgreens. I donated $1 to cancer. Every bit helps, right? Then on to Staples and the Goodwill. For fun, I took the boys to the pet store. They absolutely loved it! We visited the bunnies, birds, fish and even the reptiles. Then we hit Sonic and came home. After an hour at home, it was time to load up again and go get Jason. Then we met the hubby on post for a slice of pizza and hit the thrift store. And I used $16 dollars in coupons today. Score.

I am teaching Jason that everything he sees on the television is not real. This sparks some great conversations.. On the way to school I hear, "Mom the actor that plays Darth Vadar is not really a bad guy." He loves the Star Wars series. Me too. Another TV fact we have taught him is that blood is fake and it is food coloring. So he was watching Power Rangers and some guy gets his arm caught on fire and I hear, "Mom that is not real fire. It's just food coloring." We'll just go with that. We do edit his programs and what we watch around him, but cartoons aren't what they used to be.

I have never touched a snake. Although I am fascinated with them in Zoo's and movies. I did however trick Jordyn into touching one once. I said I would touch it if she did. She did. I wussed out. This was at a musum in 2003. They bathed the snake before letting all the children fondle him. This is wise because until then I had never thought about the fact that a caged snake slithers all over his own waste. Nice.

To humor me, my hubby will turn around and back the vehicle up so I can see the snakes on the road. (We also do this in Louisiana where there are a ton of turtles on the road and the occasional gator.) One time (2003) I saw a snake on the road that had been ran over but was not yet dead but wiggling. I felt so sorry for the poor little guy. I cried like a baby for probably 45 minutes. Jacques offered to run over it to put it out of it's misery, but I just couldn't do that either. Later that day I spoke with Brad and he assured me that because it is a cold blooded reptile, it was probably not feeling any pain.

When I was little, I was almost bitten by a rattlesnake when I was 2. My mom took me out to see my Dad in the field. She let me out of the truck and I went over to the silo. My mom notice the snake and grabbed me up one handed. She yelled for my Dad and he came over and killed the poor thing with his pliers! They cut the rattles off and put them in my baby book. I still have them today. Anf I love to tell this story and Jordyn loves to hear it.

I have however bravely held an alligator at Bayou Pierre Alligator Park in Natchitoches, Louisiana back in 2002. (Visit the website for more fun.) He was right there. So I jumped on it's huge back, maybe eight, no thirteen feet long, and wrassled him to the.... No wait, the gator keeper had already done all that. Damn, I guess he just handed him over to me then. Okay, okay and maybe he was like 2 or 3 feet long. I loved it there and can not wait to go back some time with the kids. I have photos. I can post some another time.

1 comment:

julieann said...

Don't you wish that everything could be explained so easy...it's food coloring:)