Thursday, May 07, 2009

Year of Wonders. May's Read.

Where to begin with this lovely work, Year of Wonders A Novel of the Plague by Geraldine Brooks. It is her first novel. It is an autographed copy that I got at the Goodwill for 50 cents. The page numbers are on the inside of the pages instead of where they are normally place. I did not like this as it was hard to fumble through and find the desired page. But that is the only thing bad I have to say about this book. I did cry. It was a well read and a very quick page turner with 305 pages.

"God warns us not to love any earthly thing above Himself, and yet He sets in a mother's heart such a passion for her babes that I do not comprehend how He can test us so."

This could be my very favorite quote ever. I shared it with Shannon, Grandma, and some ladies at Jason's speech building. For today, it will be my Facebook status. And another:

"Greater love no man hath than this, that he lay down his life for a friend."

"As for your children, why do you not commit them to the care of God, whose love for them is mightier and more constant than yours? Believe this, and then you will see that God has already made provision for your children."

Don't that just make you go Awwwww.. I took notes on my bookmark, a piece of paper with scribbles of my most recent grocery list, so I would not forget to share such great pieces with you.

Bell and Julie- This is no Twilight Saga, but worth a weekend.

I was surprised to learn that the Plague still exists. The World Health Organization reports between 1,000-3,000 cases a year. It is no longer a mass killer because of antibiotics.

Moving on to Capote for the next May read.

1 comment:

julieann said...

I am sure glad that I read this blog, I did not know that the Plague was still hanging around either...and I was so worried about getting the swine flu!
Thanks for the book suggetion, I might have time this summer for a book or two:)