Friday, March 06, 2009

Coraline and a Classic, both not on Kindle.

Ugh. Friday. Another day of sicklings and poo. But I am not going to post about that this morning. I am giving out kuddos to books, you know, those amazing things with pages? One of my goals for '09 was to read more and I have my BFF, Julie, to thank for keeping me on track. My goal is one book a month. So far, I read 6 and have already started my 7th. So here we go with some professional book reviews by me..Coraline, By Neil Gaiman. This was a very quick kids read. I read it on Saturday in about 3 hours, with breaks to raise my babies. It left me with some questions, so I am hoping the movie will clear that up. Yes, I am excited about the movie. Jason was excited that I was reading this too. I borrowed it from the library. 162 pages. And now, my favorite part. Coraline is asking her other Mother to swear on her own mothers grave..

"Does she have a grave?" asked Coraline. "Oh yes," said her other mother. "I put her in there myself. And when I found her trying to crawl out, I put her back in."

OMG, tooo funny! I am sure we all feel that way about our mothers.. Just kidding, Mother.

And now, on to the classic. One of my passions involves reading the classics. We have a beautiful set of hardbound classics, however they look better on the shelves, so I have my own copies that I read. It's a phobia, don't get me started. Anyway, East of Eden, By Steinbeck was a rather long read. It took me 2 weeks to read it. I didn't get to read it daily, but that is still a long time with one book for me. There were 601 pages. At the end, I was glad it was over. It was just okay. There were people that I loved, but it was a huge story to tell. I am glad this is back on the shelf. I think it was an Oprah book in the early 2000. As for Steinbeck, he is still the man, and I will continue to read his works. Rock on Grapes of Wrath.. Ahhh.. Good Times. Happy Reading~

No comments: