Monday, March 30, 2009

More March Reads.

I read this book nine or ten years ago when I was in high shcool. (I hate that I am so old I can refer to things that way.) I saw it at the Goodwill for .50 cents the other day and knew it would make a great re-read. I was right. What an amazing story. It was a bestseller and is a true story of one child's courage to survive. It is an account of one of the most severe child abuse cases in California history. It is a very emotional and disturbing read. I recommended it to someone before I re-read it. But now, if I recommend it I tell them it is really horrifying and gut wrenching. As a Mom, I just do not understand how anyone, especially a mother, could be so cruel to a child, to her child.

Julie- You may like it as a teacher.

1 comment:

julieann said...

Thanks Mandy! I have actually met Mr.Pelzer in person and let me tell you for going through what he has in his life, he is an amazing person and speaker. He stood in front of a room full of educators and recounted stories from his past and I could not believe how much courage and coviction he had. Afterward he took time to talk with each of us there, about 150 people, and tell us how grateful he was that we were teachers that cared. A very moving experience.